North Myrtle Beach Hurricane Reentry Procedures and Related Information
Posted by Century 21 Thomas Blogger | Tuesday, October 4, 2016


When reentering the city of North Myrtle Beach after a hurricane, property owners, renters and business owners should be prepared to show either their drivers license, a copy of a recent water bill or property tax bill, a rental agreement, or other form of identity that proves residency or property ownership within the city.

Owners of businesses with employees who do not reside within the city limits but are essential to recovery of a business should provide those employees with a letter written on company letterhead identifying them as being essential to the recovery of the business. When identifying an employee, please use their name as it is shown on their drivers license so that authorities can match the two for verification.
The City of North Myrtle Beach does not require filing residency or business information prior to a storm.


IF Hurricane Matthew threatens our area, and IF the Governor issues a mandatory evacuation order, this is the manner in which some evacuation routes will be managed:
  • Once the Governor issues a mandatory evacuation, lane reversals will be instituted automatically for two sections of Highway 501U.S. Highway 501 from SC 544 to SC 378, and U.S. Highway 501 from SC 22 to the U.S. Highway 501/SC 576 split in Marion. Once you enter a lane reversal pattern, you will not be able to get back out. Never enter a lane reversal pattern unless you are directed by law enforcement.
  • The Horry County evacuation plan to which all in North Myrtle Beach are subject requires people located north of Briarcliffe Acres to evacuate via SC 9 North to 1-95 and beyond.
  • These requirements are based on the results of the SC Hurricane Evacuation Study for the Northern Conglomerate that was released by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 2012.


You may remember that different areas of Horry County, including North Myrtle Beach, have been assigned different Zones with respect to the potential impact of hurricane storm surge on a given land area.

IF it should occur that Hurricane Matthew is to strike our area with force, and IF the Governor called for a mandatory evacuation, she might do so by identifying ZONES that must evacuate. The zone locations in Horry County are as follows:

Zone A
All areas east of U.S. 17 Business (Kings Highway), up to intersection with U.S. 17 (Kings Highway) and then all areas east of U.S. 17 (Kings Highway) to the northern county line.

Zone B
All areas south of S.C. 707 and Longwood Drive, including all areas in Longwood Plantation (Blackmoor) to the Waccamaw River and all areas east of U.S. 17 Bypass (Mark Garner Highway) to U.S. 17 (North Kings Highway) and all areas east of U.S. 17 (North Kings Highway) to the northern county line.

Zone C
All areas between U.S. 701 and S.C. 544, south of Brown's Chapel Avenue and Hwy. 814, plus all areas east of S.C. 31 (Carolina Bays Parkway) to S.C. 90 and all areas east of S.C. 90 to U.S. 17 to the northern county line.

To access Horry County Emergency Managements interactive zone map, use this link:


In emergency situations, such as hurricanes, the City of North Myrtle Beach will post advisory and damage assessment information using these resources:

  • (See Press Releases on the home page)

The City will also forward the same information to local and regional news media outlets, Horry County Emergency Management, the North Myrtle Beach Chamber of Commerce, and the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce. The North Myrtle Beach Chamber of Commerce shares City of North Myrtle Beach announcements with its members, and to its social media audiences. The Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce serves as the umbrella agency for the Area Recovery Council (ARC), which includes all governments and other agencies in Horry County, and which serves as a clearinghouse for information during hurricanes and other disasters that impact all of the Grand Strand or all of Horry County.


Contact Pat Dowling at

Browse the Archive

Back to Top