Sc Department Of Motor Vehicles Application For The Hearing Impaired
Posted by Century 21 Thomas Blogger | Thursday, September 8, 2016

South Carolina Code of Law 56-1-205 and 56-3-1920 allows a person who has been certified with uncorrectable hearing loss of 40 decibels or more in one or both ears to obtain a special hearing impaired restriction like emoticon(Y) along with outside mirror restriction (J) on his or her drivers license/beginners permit and/or a hearing impaired placard.

This placard and/or drivers license/beginners permit restriction is to alert law enforcement and others to the drivers condition and may NOT be used for special parking privileges.

There is a limit of one (1) placard per applicant. To apply for the restriction and/or the placard, the person must have a current drivers license/beginners permit and a physicians statement certifying the hearing loss. (NOTE: A physicians statement is not required for a replacement or renewal.)

An application is attached and it can also be accessed online at

For answers to questions, call the SC Department of Motor Vehicles at (803) 896-5000.

We thank area resident Michelle Barden for this information. Michelle was concerned by a news story about an incident in another state involving a hearing impaired person and law enforcement. She has met with city officials and we have enjoyed talking with her and learning from her.

Browse the Archive

Back to Top